Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smokeless owl - Series conversion
I've posted this elsewhere too but as there seem to be a few improvements/mods to the smokeless owl here already I thought I'd share.

The Smokeless Owl is a great little mod, and awesome value, but was lacking the power I've become accustomed to, and prefer, so I thought I'd do something about it.

I used the existing switch and two mini LiPos. No mosfet, 18A limit.
[Image: 20150604_210306_zps7pszj6fx.jpg]

This is how I did it

Two small 2S packs, wrappers removed and soldered into parallel so 2S2P now for a massive 520mAh
[Image: 20150605_001429_zpsx4tjv1dx.jpg]

I screwed a small brass plate under the fire switch to make the positive connection.
[Image: 20150605_001444_zps1s6mn7my.jpg]

Enough capacity for an evening's vaping, works exactly as before just with a bit more oomph into the 1 ohm build in my zenith or modified derringer clone.

I had planned to add a mosfet, but space was an issue. If anyone else wants to have a go at this mod let me know and I'll dig out info on which batteries I used. I wouldn't advise it unless you're confident in taking LiPo packs apart at least a bit and re-soldering their connections.
If a thing's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.
[-] The following 3 users Like doobedoobedo's post:
  • cheekiecharlie, JoBo, vern
excellent post, and you've reminded me I have two small "800mah" batteries I removed from a hana mini FT clone should I follow this route.

Are you charging them externally?
Box, check...juice, check...new battery, check.....SQUONK! Big Grin
I suspect those 800mAh cells may be a bit big Sad.

I used two of these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__37570__Turnigy_nano_tech_260mah_2S_35_70C_Lipo_Pack_UK_Warehouse_.html which are 33x20x13.5mm and only just fit.
I've soldered them completely into parallel so that one is upside down compared to the other and the leads come out of the middle of the pack. I charge through the balance lead using a lead I made up which goes to my hobby charger. I run a lot of 2S LiPo mods and charging through the balance lead means I don't have to unplug them from the mod while they charge Smile.
[-] The following 1 user Likes doobedoobedo's post:
  • vern
:-) I suspect they arent 800mah:-)
I'll do a test fit this weekend, but bear in mind the hana mini battery space is a wee bit smaller than an 18650. I removed these two cells and had to dremel the space larger to fit an 18650...so both of these cells used to fit in a space smaller than an 18650. The smokeless owl battery slot is about 20mm diameter, so there is a chance it'll fit, with space to spare. I think it'll depend a bit on the connectors and where they can be safely stuffed away
Fair enough. I'm not familiar with the guts of the hana mini, although I do know enough about it to think that the battery bay would be square. The owl has a curve which limits the thickness considerably for square cells.
true...and a good reminder to me to pay more attention...hmm.
I'll do a test fit and report back
....and....the batteries were disposed of in my last tidy-up, so I cant say if this would or wouldnt work. Nice idea, but I'm going to cede to doobedoobedo that they probably wouldnt fit. Afterall, he has done it already:-)
there's a lesson to be learnt here, don't tidy up; and keep everything, you never know when you might need it.

You don't stop playing when you get too old, you get too old when you stop playing.

The first 40 years of my childhood were the hardest
[-] The following 2 users Like kris98765's post:
  • doobedoobedo, vern