Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kui
Anybody had any experience with these please?

http://focalecig.com/Product/Kui-Bottom-Feeder-ModSilver-28336

You don't stop playing when you get too old, you get too old when you stop playing.

The first 40 years of my childhood were the hardest
I have one....fire your questions my way.

To answer some anticipated ones: yes, its a very similar mod to a reo...dimensions are slightly bigger, and it is heavier as it is made form cast zinc alloy instead of machined aluminium like a reo.

Works well enough, no complaints. Good mod for the price, *however* since its release the reo copy has come around at a very similar price point making it difficult to recommend this mod over a reo copy...ultimately, they are both (to an extend) a copy of a reo, except one is 1:1 and the other (the kui) has some of its own design flairs.

Good points: it takes 22mm atty straight away without any modding, and the juice well outer shape is round so it doesnt look odd with a 22mm round atty.
Bad points: its heavier, and none that I have seen have left the factory in perfect finish..there's always a little scratch or something on them. Not the end of the world int he bigger scheme of things.

In use it hits just fine and hard, the button is also different to a reo, and in some aspects its better (the top is larger) but the button lock (turning an outer nut) is more for ticking a feature box than for actual use. I dont think I've ever locked mine..just too much hassle.

If I didnt have access to tools to mod the reo for 22mm use, then I would pick this over the reo copy.

Hope that helps...as I said I have this one and a few others and have them in various places because sometimes one just feels better than the other. Bear in mind that any spares may be hard to come by though...
Box, check...juice, check...new battery, check.....SQUONK! Big Grin
I've got a terminator/smokeless owl in the post, coming soon, looks easy to mod to a better standard, eg changing neg spring, as your vid shows (thanks) also may beef up the wiring if too much voltage drop found. My vaping budget has been used up this month (don't tell the wife how much the budget is) but I may be tempted with the reo even with only using 14mm attys for next month, the reo looks so solid and is at a good price too. thanks for the quick reply to this thread.

You don't stop playing when you get too old, you get too old when you stop playing.

I held the reo to the side of a bench grinder, making sure not to grind skew to remove about 3mm from the catchcup..it really wasnt a chore at all..I just went carefully and did some test fitting every now and again...now its a reo grand LP so to speak. Took abotu twenty minutes from start to finish, including many test fittings.

me and the wife still use our owls...theyre perfect for out and about..being plastic and light, yet actually relatively durable. (she uses hers fulltime...I let her use my reo for two days and she gave it back and took her owl to work again)
horses for courses...you cant predict how a person will react..it all depends on how you get along with it in your hand:-)
I have 2 kui's,for the price ,they are great weighty little devices,the 14mm attys are ok too
vaping is a passion not just a hobby

[Image: tumblr_n5adqxP4Vu1qm8o2po3_r1_250.gif]
Yesterday was a day out with the family, took the reo clone and as posted in another thread the firing button melted to the firing pin. I only noticed this when I got home...as during the day it just seemed to get weaker and weaker and not hit so hard.

Took the same battery and atty to my KUI, fired it up and boom, back to business like bobs my uncle's aunty-in-law. Will figure out what to do with the reo-alike at soem point today, but the KUI saved me last night, and reminded me how nice this thing can hit, consistently.
Some images...

[Image: YOmH0Be.png]

[Image: xb16dxN.png]

[Image: I1lTwe1.png]

[Image: 9OV9XCH.png]

[Image: U9VqSvB.png]

The switch looks very suspicious to me (that it will loosen over time). When it's all mounted, you don't see how much it is screwed into the plastic cylinder, and there are positions where it will not fire. The bottom spring was mounted crooked, but the battery position is correct. Couldn't they bore the screw hole few milimeters away? The left magnet is missing (but works somewhat okay without it). The window for the bottle is cut out appalingly. The piece of metal that connects the battery + and the switch contact dangles without battery, and the top part is too small, so sometimes misfires...

But it works, and most of these things can be fixed or alleviated...
[Image: UbOpoPW.gif]
I have 2 of these a v1 and v2 ,not had any problems with either ,they are decent for their price considering you got a 14mm atty with them ,think its a 22mm you get now tho
vaping is a passion not just a hobby

[Image: tumblr_n5adqxP4Vu1qm8o2po3_r1_250.gif]
does anyone know if you can get a bigger bottle for the kui? been spoilt with the 10-12 ml bottle on the terminator, the 6 ml on the kui could do with being a bit bigger for me.

there's 7ml bottles available as a reo upgrade, and they work in the kui...but a small warning.
my owl bottle is lovely to push...soft enough to do one-handed easily..and so is my kui bottle.
my reo (clone) bottle I thought was a bit hard..almost a two-handed job. My wife refuses to use it as she cannot squonk it as her nails etc get in the way.
I got some 7ml bottles from cheekycharlie and they are on the hard side too...very similar to the reo bottle. And from another site I hang around on, thye have confirmed the clone reo bottle is pretty much the same as the genuine reo bottle.

i.e. the kui and owl have soft (and imho squeezable) bottles, whereas the reo and reo upgrade bottles are quite a bit harder.

From memory, my kui came with two bottles.
Fill both..keep one in pocket, swop midday?