Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magnum Mini LiPo/mosfet conversion
Not a home-made mod but a conversion of this https://www.fasttech.com/p/3976200 to mosfet/LiPo

[Image: 3976200-2.jpg]

A nice compact mod, but sadly powered by an 18350, of which I own exactly none Smile.

First thing was to get some battery action and these looked like they'd probably fit with a little fettling. I got 3, two would definitely go in, but a bit more capacity and a higher amp limit for lower voltage drop does the world of good.

There's not much room for the switching mechanism and I like a low voltage cut off on my mods too, so I made a little board which is activated by the existing switch it's available here.

I had to modify the internal sled to get the rectangular pack to fit where the round cell went and to get a wire through to the positive pin. I started by removing it from the top cap. There are two pins which secure the sled to the cap. I decided to use one as the negative connection.

[Image: IMG_20160421_110510_zpskgwuxdlm.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20160421_110531_zps1jgxd8qk.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20160421_110747_zpsmgso6x3m.jpg]

Next the battery pack, wrappers were removed and the cells soldered into parallel
[Image: IMG_20160421_114103_zpshpzv2zjp.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20160421_114119_zpso0iwshvy.jpg]

Then soldered to the switch board
[Image: IMG_20160421_131459_zpsksnvcpvo.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20160421_131509_zpswa0iligf.jpg]

The sled was then re-attached to the top cap with studious use of a hammer and a punch to get the pins back in.
[Image: IMG_20160421_160829_zpsdbc1kheq.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20160421_160843_zpspn2izjyo.jpg]

The battery fit was a bit too snug so out with the dremel to remove some material from inside the case
[Image: IMG_20160421_185710_zpsyf6wemej.jpg]

And it works!
[Image: IMG_20160421_190115_zpsqearowvp.jpg]

At 780mAh I've got a very similar capacity to an 18350, but with a 27.3A continuous current rated battery. 0.4 ohm build is vaping lovely Big Grin
If a thing's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.
[-] The following 2 users Like doobedoobedo's post:
  • cheekiecharlie, etab
you've done really well there. Such a cute device too. Top banana
Box, check...juice, check...new battery, check.....SQUONK! Big Grin
Nice work very impressed.
Do the magnums take any atty with a 510? I heard somewhere that the atty connection was different to a normal 510.

Sent from my K010 using Tapatalk
Yes the atty connection is different. The positive pin pokes up, it's flush with the deck and the positive connection on the atomiser has a recess for it. Airflow isn't adjustable either. The atty will sit on other mods and you can check the ohmage of the coil like that.

Probably easiest seen here
[Image: 3976200-7.jpg]
Thanks, do you reckon there is room for a FDV v4 510 so it can se other atties?

I'd say not. The top is a solid lump of brass 19mm across at the base and 6mm deep.
That's a shame, if you couldchange atties I might take a punt. What is the stock atty like? Any good?

Atty's not too bad, decent flavour and vapour. Biggest downside is that the airflow isn't adjustable, I'd prefer it just a little more restricted.

It's a gimicky thing, handy to drop in a pocket if I'm out for an hour, but not something for constant use as the battery life is pretty short. I've changed the build in it as the 3mm ID coils I had in it before were a bit too close to the deck really. I've put some 2mm ID coils in for .6ohms and it's lasting and performing better.
Revised link to revised board with more separation of +ve and mosfet out https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/veDNJUeO

I wasn't happy with the origianl board as the soldermask keepout was a bit close to the +ve connection. I've uploaded a new version to OSHPark. Original version works but this one's just that bit safer.
[-] The following 1 user Likes doobedoobedo's post:
  • vern