Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raspberry PI Zero availability
sociopathic capitalists buying up every copy of the MagPi magazine means I cant get one to use while they stick them on ebay for £50+

A $5 computer, which as it happens wouldve worked lovely in a car project I had planned for the weekend.(cd changer emulator)

yeah, boo hoo..thats life etc.

and boo hiss to shops only selling it is part of a bundled kit with wires I have no need for.

A $5 pc will make a lot of the arduino projects..maybe even the smaller stuff using 555 timers and other ic's obsolete. The Pi GPIO header would become a new standard heralding in a change in the whole electronics industry, but no, lets rather camp on the boards and try flog then as part of £20 bundles.
Box, check...juice, check...new battery, check.....SQUONK! Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes vern's post:
  • Vap3on
The Pi zero is amazing value. Sorry you couldn't get your hands on one yet.

I'm afraid I disagree about it making arduino obsolete. Sometimes you just don't need or want the overhead and complexity of a full OS.
If a thing's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes doobedoobedo's post:
  • Vap3on
I'll wait for the crowds to die down then get me one. About the arduino bits I do agree (in most cases)...I love the simplicity and quick "boot" time of the little microprocessors, but for average Joe when they compare specs the pi zero will outclass and probably lead to lost sales. At some point even the simpler projects would be able to move to the pi zero as a platform.

For my purposes, I'm using an arduino nano to emulate the comm's between the headunit and cd changer (to keep the car's stock interior)(arduino needs to come online rapidly to stop headunit from figuring out I am lying to it) and then from arduino serial to Pi MPD to play music. The two go hand in hand nicely for this task. Wouldve loved to put a Pi Zero in there with a usb soundcard.
  • Vap3on
Nice project.

The pi has the advantage of lots of ready to use software, with the arduino you either have to roll your own or find a sketch which some one else has done. There are plenty of libraries available though.

My Dino boards are currently arduino based, but I'm in the process of moving to arm m0 for the faster speed and lower power consumption they offer in an even smaller package than the 328p which is getting a bit long in the tooth now.
If a thing's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.
[-] The following 2 users Like doobedoobedo's post:
  • Vap3on, vern
small update. I got a Pi Zero in the end and got my project to work but never mounted it in the car. Many mant days spent thinking and I have decided to use the arduino to emulate a cd changer, and then arduino serial comms to bluetooth adapter. I've prototyped this and it works..i.e. press a button on my car headunit, message gets send to cd changer (arduino) which then sends message via serial to BT adapter which then sends message to my phone to change track etc.

Now I just need to fit this to the car, taking into account the arduino voltage requirements and the bt adapter requirements (4v).
  • doobedoobedo