Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spalted Ash project
I thought I'd share my latest project. It's still very much a work in progress, but I'm getting there slowly.

Cutouts for screen and buttons were done first before any gluing
[Image: 20151007_230638_zpsxaa5akdx.jpg]

You can see better with the flash but boy does it wash the colours out.

[Image: 20151007_230654_zpsmn2ygmub.jpg]

Tactiles for up and down are mounted in their holder (top) which will also help position the screen.
A dino PWM VW board ready to go in. With the battery I'm going to use it'll be good for a smidge under 350W. The rainbow wires with the pins on the end are a serial port for programming the board and data gathering as I intend to do some more work on temperature control, this time with 2S configuration so I can turn the power down a bit more.
I'm not sure whether I'm going to use spalted ash buttons or cut some from the bog oak that everything is sat on for contrast - decisions!

[Image: 20151007_230722_zpsgwr0c7ab.jpg]

I'm going to use one of the 15ml soy sauce bottles for squonking and I have a fatdaddy V5 510.
If a thing's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.
[-] The following 2 users Like doobedoobedo's post:
  • Pikey, vern
Battery pack made. 2S2P 1500mAh 35C pack.

[Image: 20151008_210927_zpsbggassgp.jpg]

How it all fits in the box
[Image: 20151008_211141_zpsenk9idud.jpg]

Battery wires will be routed under the squonk bottle which will sit inside it's own little compartment.
[-] The following 2 users Like doobedoobedo's post:
  • cheekiecharlie, vern
Looking good so far :-)
Formerly a Pipe smoker,so opinions may be irreverent  Tongue
doobedoobedoo are you (conceptually) using the pwn pin of the arduino to trigger a mosfet (or similar) at high frequencies? I read on UKV your thread and you mentioned it would be open source so hope you dont mind sharing how it works.

I've got some mega's, nanos and minis here along with about 10 nokia lcd's that I was going to use to build something similar a looong while ago so can happily build along with you:-)
Box, check...juice, check...new battery, check.....SQUONK! Big Grin
e.g. would it be this
http://s252.photobucket.com/user/roe94eg/media/555pfet.jpg.html
but with the 555 replaced with arduino pwm?
I realise you've got resistance readings and such going on too (and lcd..and button adjusters)...but have I got the concept right?
it doth appear, after some serious googling today, than one vern should find himself at the breaktru forums more often.
breaktru's forum was invaluable. There are some really knowledgeable people on it. A lot of the best things were really just pointers at to where to look. I've spent hours poring over the MCU's datasheet. The electronics side is actually fairly simple:
5V regulator (based on arduino pro-mini reference design)
voltage sensing - a couple of dividers
current sensing - shunt and amplifier
mosfet driver to protect the MCU

The rest is in the firmware - about 1500 lines of code at last count without TC.
[-] The following 1 user Likes doobedoobedo's post:
  • vern
Little update.

Fitted the board and battery, just gluing in the bottle holder
[Image: 20151015_231744_zpsbq9ai9k6.jpg]

I think I'm going to go for the bog oak buttons They're cut from an off-cut so waste not want not Smile
[Image: 20151015_231956_zpsqcxip2jo.jpg]

A fair amount more to do, like fitting the door, fire button, 510 and sanding and finishing.

Buttons will have final fitting only after I've finished the box itself which will end up a little slimmer than it is now too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes doobedoobedo's post:
  • cheekiecharlie
I'd glued the bottle holder in too high Blush  (there should be a facepalm smiley) not too late though thankfully.
Just waiting for the glue to dry on the firebutton, then I can fit the 510 and all done.

[Image: 20151016_193649_zpsdii9sauh.jpg]
[Image: 20151016_193702_zps9g3yr80p.jpg]
[Image: 20151016_193712_zpsv4h4xhqb.jpg]