Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sealing wood.... or not
So i'm looking at making a few wood mods and when I'm done I'm not sure what to coat them with.

Ive decided oil would be bad and wax might not be the best approach either. Acrylic varnish seems a good idea but the more I think on it the more I find other avenues, yacht varnish is waterproof for example but stinks to high heaven for ages afterwards.

I did think raw wood but it'll drink any spills and also tarnish from all the crap from my hands.

What are folks preferred finish?
i use oil on mine, always have done,
vaping is a passion not just a hobby

[Image: tumblr_n5adqxP4Vu1qm8o2po3_r1_250.gif]
Mayb I should rethink the oil thing. I just thought it'd leave a residue on yer hands.
perhaps get some gun stock oil...pretty cheap I had a Theoben air rifle and used oil on it (for the stock), had a bit of a nutty smell when you put it on but rubbing it with a cloth removed all oily residue..and you put it by your cheek to fire so I wouldve noticed it if it was still oily.
Box, check...juice, check...new battery, check.....SQUONK! Big Grin
haha, its gun oil i use too, walnut oil, i always upgraded my beech stocks to walnut, not allowed to own guns nowadays , so the walnut oil gets used on my mods,

i would also suggest beeswax, i bought a jar of that too and use it on my mods , i normally leave the mods an hour or so , then buff with a dry clean cloth after using the oil or the beeswax

i also have a du bocage mod, it was clear coated, personally i didn't like the feel or the look of it, so it sort of spurred me on to strip the finish and reshape it a bit, then its just been oiled and waxed

I think I have some mineral oil and beeswax. I'll see how well that soaks into an off cut in different ratios.
you definitely dont want to soak it mate, a little goes a long way, the beeswax can be bought in asda or tesco,

Yeah, I'm not going to soak it. I'm going to see how well it goes in after it's been wiped on with a rag. I'm not going to apply it like you do a chopping board, lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes ad456m's post:
  • cheekiecharlie