Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Improving Smokeless Owl button, reducing misfires to zero
#1
After using my Smokeless Owl for over a week I started to notice a tendency for the switch to fire, but somehow we weren't getting full voltage
I stripped the whole unit and found that the firing pin passes through a metal ring, however, the firing pin was touching this ring on the side, instead of on the top as designed.

It would appear, certain length batteries (the crucial part was how low the positive contact was, compared to the wrapping area) would allow the pin to depress fully and make correct contact, whereas others would mean the pin hits the top connector of the battery before full contact with the ring is achieved.

I studied the design over a nice glass of Sambuca, and decided that the designer knew of this, and catered for it, but the parts specced were at fault.
namely, the negative contact/spring was waaay too strong. If this spring could depress slightly when you pushed the button, and pressed the battery down a bit, then you would always have full contact. This is very similar to how the KUI was deisgned.

Out comes the soldering iron, a spring was found, and this is the result.
   

Here is a short video showing the process..I have centered on the bottom of the battery, you can see it moving around half a mm DOWN everytime I push the firing button. This space is what was lacking on the original setup..the half mm movement now allows the switch to bottom out correctly on the contact ring.
i.e. switch travel ends when it bottoms out on the contact, NOT when it touches the top of the battery.
My clouds are now consistent.




***pls see below for another method, using the original contact points with a softer spring inserted****
Box, check...juice, check...new battery, check.....SQUONK! Big Grin
Reply
#2
here is a picture of the original bottom spring for the Smokeless Owl.
Surprisingly, it is a press-fitted collar, so removal entails pulling up and hoping for the best.
   
I'll attempt to mod the spring and report back
Box, check...juice, check...new battery, check.....SQUONK! Big Grin
Reply
#3
winner
replacement spring used was from a ballpoint pen, the picture below shows the original spring on the right, and what is left of the replacement ballpoint spring on the left hand side. I cut my new spring exactly one coil longer then the original spring.
   

and a video showing the battery movement when firing, using the original contact point but with the softer spring fitted


Box, check...juice, check...new battery, check.....SQUONK! Big Grin
Reply




Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)